Saturday, May 7, 2011

A Scary Day

This morning G and I set off to our friend's place in a town about 2 hours drive away, it was their daughters 1st Birthday and I've been looking forward to it as the first childrens party where I was actually pregnant myself.
About 20 minutes in and I had my first bout of nausea and feeling rather close to being sick-I actually felt excitement at this!I got my HCG levels back yesterday which had another good rise at 11800 so I've been almost been waiting for the Morning Sickness to kick in!
An hour in and we stop at a cafe for G to grab a coffee, it's pouring down and we run through the rain laughing with G calling me his "Preggy Sue".
Go to the bathroom- I see red spotting.
Tell myself this can be quite normal and also tell G this. Sitting in the car I feel a nagging cramping which I try to put to the back of my mind.We arrive in the destined town and find another restroom before we go to the party. This time there's a lot more red blood and I start crying-I'm convinced it's all over and I tell G. We leave and head straight back home-another 2 hours drive. After the initial cry I feel reasonably calm and know I can't do anything about the bleeding-whatever's going to happen will happen.
When we get home I see that the bleeding isn't worse but there's some clots which have me certain it's not good...I left a message for the nurse at the clinic and then climb into bed, by the time she rings back the bleeding seems to have slowed significantly, and she tells me that there's lots of reasons for it and not to worry myself sick just yet....she said with such great levels the previous day it would be unusual for something to happen so suddenly, and a possible theory is that the embryo had split but one hadn't survived, or could be any one of a number of other possible theories....suddenly I have renewed hope.
So I'm officially on bedrest until further notice, and will have another blood test on Tuesday where I'm hoping like hell the levels are still okay.
I never knew how common bleeding during early pregnancy was until I got home and chatted to a couple of friends on a forum who were of great reassurance, and googling for once gave me some positive outlooks and hope rather than doom&gloom. I had just automatically assumed the first sign of red blood and cramps and it's all over....but it seems it's quite a common thing. It has still given me a huge scare though and I'm still as nervous as hell.I just want to know that everything is okay.
So definitely one of the scariest days I've had in a while-and hopefully the last-fingers crossed!

16 comments:

  1. Oh love I am sure it is fine but can understand your nerves. Big fat super hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pray you are one of the lucky ones... A scare is a scare, but when u go through what we do in IF, just seems like there is more at risk. Big hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good news stories only like Tan remember xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It could very well be a sub chorionic hematoma..lots of women come into the ER and get diagnosed with them. How scary! Rest and hydrate yourself, I will be thinking about you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh! I would have been terrified to. I know I've heard from lots of people that it is totally normal to have bleeding during early pregnancy. I agree wiht the nurse (for what my opinion is worth). Your numbers were so great, I can't imagine there is a problem. I'll be thinking of you for the next couple of days, and waiting to hear good news on Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh hun... spotting is so scary :( I didn't realise how common it is until I was pregnant... and our OB kept telling us that it's almost "normal" during early pregnancy... but that doesn't make it any less anxiety-provoking. Bed rest is a great idea... your levels were so good which is a great sign. Love to you always xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. its very scary every time it happens, I'm now 36 weeks pregnant after treatment and had spotting episodes up until I was 11 weeks, I was sure it was over every time but baby hung in there. I'm still surprised by how 'normal' it is in early pregnancy - pity no one really talks about it! Best to do what you are doing - rest and try keep calm. All the best

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad things are ok. I don't know how I would have reacted in that situation. I hope things are ok and that you get good news on Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hoping all is well with your little giraffe!!!!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Remember I'm a good news story too, bleeding on/off up until 14 weeks. I can totally understand your fear and anxiety. I also missed on a few events on my way there only to turn back. Hang in there love, those levels are fantastic and that "pink" feeling I still have only cements that you're having a girl who already is being a little pain in the bum to her mum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, you poor thing Ant - i would have been so upset too - it's impossible not to be.

    I hope the next BT is all good and you can put this scary event behind you xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sorry for the scary day. I hope things are improving. Rest up and take care... praying everything calms down!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG! I'm so sorry that you are going through this. All the best for your BT.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good luck for the blood test tomorrow chicky. Keeping everything crossed that its all good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so sorry you're going through this, I am praying that everything is ok!

    ReplyDelete