Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Earthquake

Today G and I had the TV on and happened to notice a small 'breaking news' banner saying there had been a major aftershock in Christchurch-in the South Island of New Zealand-we have since been glued to the news for 6 hours.

A major aftershock it has been.

Christchurch had a 7.2 earthquake last September which did some major damage but thankfully no loss of life as it happened in the early hours of the morning.they have had aftershocks since then.

The earthquake today was 6.3 but only 5kms from the surface and apparently a very violent shake. What we have seen on unedited live footage today is horrendous, it happened just before 1pm - cars crushed by falling debri -many with people inside, buildings collapsed, injured crying people everywhere, it's heartbreaking and terrifying.

So far 65 people confirmed dead and expected to rise-and approx 200 people trapped in buildings or rubble.

We live in the North Island, but my mum has been visiting my grandma in Christchurch for the past week and she was driving to the airport when it happened, she's okay thank goodness and is camping in a hotel foyer overnight along with a heap of other stranded people, as the airport is closed.
My grandma is thankfully okay too but her house is apparently quite damaged.

I really can't believe what has unfolded today. My heart goes out to everyone affected by this earthquake, and my thoughts and prayers are with everyone who is still trapped tonight as the darkness sets in.

8 comments:

  1. When I heard this on the news I immediately thought of you in NZ- I wasn't sure if this was near where you live. Glad you're ok!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know you lived in NZ, but I'm glad to hear that you and yours are all ok.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All my prayers and in my heart my kiwi mates... We have around 2000 Aussies over in Christchurch, and somehow no casualties as yet. As you helped us in the floods, we too will help you. They scrapped normal tv viewing last night for coverage of this, and in my job we had the live vision after it happened, and to see people being pulled out and not knowing their condition is frightening.

    Big hugs Ants, and keep safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you are able to say you and your family are ok. My heart goes out to those dealing with loss and damagae.

    Please keep us updated and be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad your family is ok Ants You Kiwi's are like us Aussies and you will prevail over this devastation. Thinking of you mate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad to hear that you and your family are okay. When I saw the pictures on Yahoo News at work today, I immediately thought of you. Be well and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thinking of you all in NZ... glad to hear your family is OK. Such an awful event - feel for you all xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have not had power so I have not heard anything about this but oh how horrible. Glad your family is okay.

    ReplyDelete